Building  
     

National Landmark Designation

   
 
The U.S. Department
of the Interior (www.nps.gov/nhl/) defines a National Historic Landmark
as follows:

"National Historic Landmarks are nationally significant historic places designated by the Secretary of the Interior because they possess exceptional value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the United States."

Read the complete Landmark Application

(You'll need the free Acrobat Reader from Adobe.)


  In September, 2000, an application (pdf 125K) nominating the Dutch Reformed Church in Newburgh to be designated a National Historic Landmark was prepared by William Krattinger, Historic Preservation Specialist, New York Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.

On August 7, 2001, following recommendations of a national advisory board, the Secretary of the Interior accepted the nomination and designated the DRC a National Historic Landmark.

On November 3, 2001, a dedication ceremony in front of the DRC commemorated its achievement of this prestigious status.

The following were the key points accepted by the Park Service in summarizing the significance of the Dutch Reformed Church:

1 The Dutch Reformed Church is nationally significant as an outstanding, largely intact Greek Revival style church designed by Alexander Jackson Davis.
2 Begun in 1835 and completed in 1837, it is the last extant Greek Revival church directly attributable to Davis that retains design integrity consistent with his original intentions.
3 The building is distinguished by an exceptionally bold and skillfully designed composition, featuring a monumental pedimented Ionic portico and dramatically scaled entrance.
4 The church is a potent reminder of the early part of Davis' career, a time when his gifted hand contributed significantly to the emergence of the Greek Revival style in the United States.

  dedication ceremony